An SDCC 2017 attendee friend and I were chatting on the back channels of Facebook today. He shared this photo with me of the SyFy Channel’s sign, boldly listing “true SDCC fandom” characteristics. We were having a good laugh about how we would write this list. Can you pass our sniff test? I’ll bet those of you reading this will have some great additions to our list–feel free to chime in and share!
And speaking of SDCC 2017, I hope you got a chance to check out Dave Dorman’s new creator-owned WASTED LANDS novella and his AMAZING TALES OF THE WASTED LANDS pulp fiction magazine Kickstarter campaign! Here’s your handy link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikebawden/amazing-tales-of-the-wasted-lands-inaugural-issue?ref=thanks_tweet
You Pass the SDCC Old Pro Fandom Sniff Test If…
- You can pronounce Bill Sienkiewicz’s last name correctly.
- You can correctly identify the actual creator–and for bonus points, the publisher–of the character you’re cosplaying.
- You attended SDCC back when the signage all over San Diego still said “Celebrating the Comic Arts.”
- You know why Ralph McQuarrie matters to the Star Wars universe.
- Creators know your name without even looking at your badge.
- You don’t drink a drop of liquid for 12 hours before you see a panel in Hall H. Also, you bring gum and a snack.
- You know 501st isn’t a style of Levis, but the world’s largest cosplay organization.
- You carry extra Sharpies in black and silver, in case the artists’ Sharpies go dry.
- You know where to find your favorite booths without relying on the guide book.
- You attended Preview Night when it was still exclusive to pros.